Serving size: 4 oz (115 g)
One 4 pound (2 kg) whole chicken, insides removed and rinsed.
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
2 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh rosemary leaves
2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 ½ carrots, roughly chopped into 1″ pieces
1 ½ stalks celery, roughly chopped into 1″ pieces
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Season chicken with salt, garlic ,and pepper inside and out.
- Put rosemary, thyme and bay leaves inside the chicken.
- Place the onions, carrots and celery on the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken on top of your roasting rack..
- Squeeze juice from the lemons all over the chicken and place the squeezed lemons inside the chicken cavity.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Next turn the oven down to 350°F (180°C) and roast for 1 hour 20 minutes, chicken will be golden brown and crisp and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Dietitian Note: Nutrition information does not include vegetables.
Per serving: 240 calories, 27g protein, 14g fat (4g saturated), 90mg cholesterol, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g sugar, 280mg sodium
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 8%